two of four horsemen
I dropped off the face of the planet for a bit. I'm recovering from a sore throat. I've been warned it could be scarlet fever, or strep, or a cold... As is characteristic of me, I'm waiting it out. Why go to a doctor for him (or her) to say that I have to rest, drink lots of liquids, suck on cold stuff, and I'll be good to go in a few days? I can say that to myself and not pay the $70. Anyway, I've returned to the world of the living, almost.
I've been thinking about the impact one person has on the world. We all know of someone whose death would be mourned by hundreds of people in some way. Think about it--if President Bush died, the US would have a lot of people pondering all the good things he did for us and wish that he were still alive, whether or not we believed he should be the president. The majority of us would mourn him in some way. This whole train of thought came about because my uncle died last week. My dad's little brother was 40-something, and lived down in Virginia (near TN & NC) near my grandparents. He had a tough life, but always always enjoyed himself. I remember sitting in his new pet shop, helping make the sign for out front, playing with his dogs and ferrets, and looking at that weird animal in the cage near the checkout, a chinchilla. More recently, we've been exchanging emails about life, what we've been up to, chinchillas as pets, and so forth. Basically, we've been connecting despite the miles and despite the fact that my dad's family doesn't talk very often. It's been nice. He had invited me down whenever I had time to go on vacation, biking and hiking through the Blue Mountains... no regrets. I'll miss him. He was always an interesting, fun person to be around and talk to.
It's amazing what his death meant to the family. His wife still is down there. His parents I'm sure are devastated; he was their youngest. His two brothers... Of his neices and nephews, I think I am the one who knew him most, though my older brother may have known him better. My dad, who just moved up to a property in way Upstate NY he bought from his ex-mother-in-law, is now moving down to Virginia to care for his parents. My uncle was doing that, taking care of their bills and them, and now Dad is moving down there. What an impact. Dad's moving almost 4 states south (NY, PA, MD, VA) to be with his family. I think it will be good for him, and for them. My uncle's wife will now have someone from her husband's immediate family around (in addition to his senile parents). My grandparents will not only have someone watching over them, but will have someone else to talk to and be with. Even better, it's their son, who hasn't lived near them in 8 years, and with them for about 30 years. Dad was going to be living essentially alone in NY, and now he will not only have company, he'll have things to do and people to do it with, including the hunting that is dear to him. He was happy up in NY, but he might enjoy himself in VA as well.
What impact will my life make? I don't need hundreds mourning my death. I want people to celebrate life. The kids I work with now may not remember my name ten years down the road, but some will remember their times at the youth center and how much they loved going there. They will remember encouragement, safety, and perhaps growth. I'm a part of that. Do I need them to recognize it? No. Does it change what I do for them? No. Even if I don't have many chances to make a difference in someone's life, I want those few I do have to be good times. If it's conversation over cleanup after dinner on wednesday; if it's a nighttime visit on the neighbor's porch; if it's a rare phone call with a friend who is thousands of miles away; if it's a few minutes joking with the clerk at the gas station...every smile given makes a difference. Every smile returned is an impact I made on someone else's life. And the people I see daily...well, I have more time to make a difference, and hopefully I will.
What impact will your life make? How will you achieve it?
4 Comments:
This is one of the reasons that I want to be a teacher. I know that I'll be able to affect kids lives in a way that no one else can. I know the difference that music has made in my own life, and this way I can share that with other kids. My role model has always been my grandfather, who was a public school teacher and administrator for many decades. Walking around town with him, we constantly run into teachers or students who he has worked with, and they all tell me what an amazing man he is, and how much good he did. One of the most powerful stories I heard was from a student of his. We met him when he was a guest preacher at church. As I was leaving, I introduced myself to him. "You're Chuck Huston's son? Let me tell you, that man saved my life." And then he goes into a story about how when he was a high school kid he was getting into trouble stealing cars and breaking into houses. The cops were ready to throw him in jail, but my grandfather convinced them to give this guy one more chance, then called him into his office and laid out for him what his choices were. From then on, my grandfather took this kid under his wing, and got him back on the right path. Now he's a well respected Prebyterian Pastor with a family, and he said to me, with watery eyes, that he thanked my grandfather for giving all of that to him. Can you imagine having that kind of an impact on someone? This is why I want to be a teacher.
I'm sorry for you loss, Angie. You were closer to your uncle than I imagined. I'm also sorry you weren't able to be with your family at such a time. I hope you're "all better" as you read this.
You missed Sir Pastor's message this week. He spoke about everyday heroes. He said we need to do more than remember them...we need to "follow" them. Alec, it sounds like you're doing exactly that. Godspeed!
My thoughts on this area of life reality always bring me to a puzzlement...why, when there are so many like Alec's grandfather living out their wonderful passion, and effecting so much good, do we seem to spend so much time, money and media time glamorizing the bad guys. Is there some redeeming dimension to that?
Perhaps we use the violence in the media as a type of catharsis. Even if we can't go out and shoot people, at least we can sit down in front of our Playstations and play Grand Theft Auto, beating up people, stealing their cars, and running them over. A release for the white-collar worker in you!
I think another reason media and entertainment don't call attention to the do-gooders is that they make people feel bad. In college, I didn't talk about what I was doing because I often had people say, upon finding out what I was involved in, that I made them feel bad. They didn't do those types of things, which is fine, but they felt bad about it. I think one of those people was my cousin (sorry...). And how thrilling would a Halloween flick be if it followed the life of a Youth Center worker? ooOOoooo... Some of the stories I hear are scary, but it's nothing like the actual gore you see in those horror movies...
I do think, though, that people's self-perception is a main reason that the news highlights bad things going on. I think that it should be balanced between good and bad.. After all, ignoring a problem won't make it go away, but educating the public about it may deter people from following in the criminal's footsteps. Like the D.A.R.E. program does...
I really should have gone to the funeral.
Post a Comment
<< Home