22 May 2006

absence makes the heart grow fonder?

Despite some ups and downs this past weekend (Graduation weekend) at Bucknell, I really did have a good time. I spent time with a friend who is moving from Colorado to Japan; a friend that might end up in Toronto or Talahassee, depending on interviews; and a friend that, while I was still at Bucknell, left for Ireland for a month. As I endlessly repeated, I really should have been working on a grant, but the opportunity to build those relationships a bit stronger before distance tested their durability was much more enticing. I'm currently sitting in my apartment listening to jackhammering and concrete saws... and it's after midnight. I really would love to go back to the peace of yesterday afternoon, laughing with friends and seeing a certain smile. The odd thing is... It has taken the thought of the oceans between us to make me miss them this much. Before, from here to PA (100 miles) wasn't too horrible because the phone and IM was available (it's amazing to me how much I rely on IM as a communication tool, even though I hate the confusion it causes with the lack of emotions and all). And here to CO (farther) wasn't a big deal because as long as there's a phone call once every month or two, the relationship was still strong. I'm not sure if it will be the same when CO moves to Japan... I know it's not the same while PA is in Eire. Why does the ocean make the difference? If I had no concept of the size of the ocean, would it not matter as much? Why are voices that important? I'm sure I could say something about social creatures and the need for communication to retain bonds...

2 Comments:

At 5/26/2006 4:00 PM, Blogger Xan said...

I think it could be an effect of a couple of different things. Part of it undoubtably is the ocean. It's a massive physical barrier that, to us, seems even larger than it actually is. Know that that barrier is there makes it feel even further away than if it were the same distance but no ocean. The other aspect could be that in both cases, it's a different country entirely. That sense of foreignness could also add to the sense of distance, as it eliminates a reference point. Not only is the distance great, but the surroundings are completely different. To our mind, that exagerates the feeling of distance.

 
At 5/26/2006 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's because the ocean is water. (Seriously.) It's so alien to us as humans; we cannot cross it without aid.
etal.
-eva

 

Post a Comment

<< Home